Probate & Estate Planning
We counsel individuals and families with all aspects of estate planning, including the creation of a will, power of attorney, living will or healthcare power of attorney, and trust. We also advise our clients on the best ways to manage and preserve their assets for future distribution to loved ones, and to reduce estate tax exposure. In addition to estate planning, we assist clients in navigating the probate process, including finalizing all matters involving inheritance of real property in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Our experience in estate planning and probate include:
- drafting wills, general power of attorney and healthcare proxy documents;
- drafting trusts;
- estate tax law;
- investigation of deeds and public records;
- documentation of land and other property transfers;
- the U.S. Virgin Islands Probate Code;
- probate litigation, including will contests and judicial modification of trusts;
- administration of estates;
- post-probate property disputes.
We recognize that the creation of and distribution of an estate can be an important family decision. We work with clients and their families in St. Thomas, St. John, and St. Croix to understand and successfully complete the sometimes complex aspects of probate.